Development Services Technician
Building Inspections General Email Box
3901 Main Street
24-Hour Building Inspections Request line:972-412-6137
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
What are you building?
*All submittals require a copy of the lot survey indicating
where work is to be done on the property.*
- Fence - provides information for fence construction with or without a pool and outlines what paperwork is needed for submittal.
- If the proposed fence will be crossing/enclosing a marked easement on the property or if a survey cannot be provided, the fence waiver must be completed and submitted before the permit can be issued.
- Residential Accessory Structure - includes storage buildings, detached garages, carports, gazebos, or any other structure that is not attached to the house. (Ord. 005-10)
- Patio Cover - provides information regarding construction and what paperwork is needed for submittal.
- Concrete - pouring and construction of concrete. (Standard Construction Details)
- Irrigation System - provides information for irrigation installation (the City of Rowlett has adopted the regulations of the Texas State Law known as the Texas Administrative Code) **Please note that the City of Rowlett does permit homeowners to install irrigation systems on their own property, however the plans/design sketch must be signed and sealed by a licensed irrigator**
- Swimming Pool - provides information for swimming pool installation and construction.
Please NOTE: all permits EXCEPT ROOFING, electrical, plumbing, or mechanical require at least 3 – 5 BUSINESS days for plan review and processing.
Permits are required when building, remodeling or enlarging a building. Permits are also required for other improvements to your property such as fencing, replacing a roof, plumbing or electrical work.
Projects such as painting, wallpapering, carpeting, cabinets and trim work, etc., do not require permits. Additionally, permits are not required when replacing fixtures on existing wiring or plumbing.
Obtaining Residential Construction Permits and Applications
Citizens and contractors that need to obtain a permit for projects such as fences, accessory structures, pools and concrete, may do so by filling out a permit application and bringing or mailing it along with a copy of the lot survey indicating location of the work to be done to the Development Services Building.
New Construction please use the building permit application and residential review checklist.
Contractors must be registered with the city before a permit can be pulled.
**Please note that permits for accessory structures, which includes but is not limited to patio covers and decks, pools and fences typically take 3 to 5 business days to approve and process.**
If you choose to e-mail a permit application or contractor registration form, you may fill out the credit card authorization form and send it with the completed paperwork. The permit and receipt will be sent back once it has been approved and processed.
Residential Building Codes
View the City of Rowlett Adopted Codes for codes related to residential construction.
Resources and Applications
If you have any questions, please contact Blake Scott, Building Official at 972-412-6126.